We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
Behavioural counselling involves the cooperation of the pet owner, an animal and the veterinary team. It can occur at any time that the health, safety or well-being of the pet, the owner or their relationship is called into question. Behavioural counselling with an educated veterinary professional includes careful consideration of underlying medical conditions, genetic predispositions, behavioural tendencies and environmental factors. Counsellors take time to listen to the owner’s concerns, they help troubleshoot hard to answer areas and develop goals for long-term success.
Dog counsellors are educated and trained professionals that work together with owners to address their pets behavioural concerns. Working in conjunction with the attending veterinarian, careful consideration can be given to medical concerns, genetic and inherited conditions and environmental factors. Since success begins with the owner, dog counsellors help identify the cause of the behaviour, equip the owners with the necessary information and establish a course of action to address the concerns.
What happens at the consultation?
A behavioural consultation is an in-depth process that helps identify the cause of the owner’s concern. Through a comprehensive history, a lengthy discussion with the owner, and observation of the behaviour (when possible), a treatment plan is implemented under the direction of the attending veterinarian. Careful consideration is given to breeding, environmental factors, natural tendencies, as well as how the pet and owner interact with each other. With the long-term goal being to alleviate the behavioural concerns, positive training techniques and exercises are recommended to help re-establish the desired behavioural pattern.
Will my pet insurance policy cover the cost of consultation?
Insurance policies have a wide range of coverage, and it is best to contact your insurance provider directly.
What to expect after the consultation?
Following the consultation, owners should expect a greater understanding to the ‘hows’ and ‘whys’ behind their pet’s behaviour, with short and long-term goals focused at eliminating or changing the unwanted behaviour. Counsellors seek to implement positive exercises and techniques that give both the owner and the pet a positive training experience. When necessary, follow up consultations would be scheduled at the discretion of the parties involved.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Wednesday, March 18, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a "closed-door" policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 780-458-3833. We will take a history of your pet from outside of your car, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. We will then return to your vehicle with your pet to discuss our recommended treatment plan.
2. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets, as well as time-sensitive puppy/kitten vaccinations. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday to Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm Saturdays 9:00 - 2:00 pm and closed on Sundays.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the clinic. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment from your vehicle. We do have our online store available, which can be accessed from our website by clicking the Online Store button.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
6. Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our jobs. We have taken these measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid, and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
Your dedicated team at Mission Ridge Animal Hospital