Household Dangers for Pets

Many people think that the only dangers for their pets can be in the outdoors, if you are one of them, be aware!

There are in fact items inside the house that can cause serious illness or death. There are also a number of foods that should be avoided. Keep this handy list in a place where you can refer to it.

Household items to be avoided

• Human medicines
• Plants – if unsure about any plant brought into your house please ask your veterinarian
• Aloe
• Acorn squash
• Baby breath
• Bamboo
• Calamondin Orange
• Lilies
• Daffodil
• Daisies
• Orchids
• Fennel
• Iris
• Any type of ivy
• Veterinary medicine that is used incorrectly – if unsure how to give the medication call your veterinary clinic for proper instructions
• Insecticides
• House hold cleaners or chemicals
• Bleach
• Detergent
• Antifreeze
• Pool/spa cleaners
• Fertilizers
• Pesticides
• Heavy metals

Foods that should be avoided

• Any sort of fruit pits (apricot, cherry, etc.)
• Chocolate
• Garlic
• Grapes/Raisins
• Coffee/Tea
• Onions/Onion powder
• Moldy food
• Nuts
• Rhubarb/Tomato leaves
• Salt
• Yeasty dough
• Xylitol (artificial sweeteners)
• Sugar free gum
• Candy

The things listed above can cause serious problems to your pet if the appropriate steps aren’t taken.

Here are some of the signs and symptoms you might notice

• Vomiting
• Diarrhea
• Lethargy
• Seizures
• Shaking
• Tremors
• Hyperactivity
• Racing heart rate
• Increased salivation
• In severe causes – death.

If you have any concerns that your pet might have ingested any of the items listed call your Veterinarian immediately for advice.


Written by Aileen Holcroft, ACA