We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.

Pet Safety for the Holidays

Take a look at some simple tricks and information to help you keep your furry family members safe during the upcoming holidays.

Christmas Tree

The oils produced by fir trees can be irritating to a pet’s mouth and stomach, causing excessive vomiting or drooling. The tree needles may cause gastrointestinal irritation, obstruction, and puncture. A few tips to prevent your pets from climbing the tree include placing the tree in a corner, blocking off from wanting eyes. For attempting to jump onto the tree, you can place aluminum foil, a plastic bottle filled with anything that makes noise on the tree’s bottom branches to warn you of a possible disaster. Be cautious with lights and ornaments on lower branches to make sure your pet doesn’t get tangled or break an ornament in their mouths or step on shards.

Table Scraps

Turkey and chicken bones, skin and other rich foods can pose a real danger to your pet. All of that fat and seasoning is dangerous for dogs and cats. The fat content can cause pancreatitis, and the seasonings can irritate your dog’s stomach. Make sure you only feed your pet the meat. Onions are toxic, and garlic is potentially toxic in large quantities. Don’t fall for their pleading puppy eyes.

Dangerous Holiday Plants

Poinsettia: Has brightly colored leaves that contain a sap that is irritating to the tissues of the mouth and esophagus. If the leaves are ingested, it will likely cause nausea and vomiting. For the plant to cause poisoning, pets will have to eat a large amount but will likely not happen due to the irritating taste and feel of the sap.
Holly and Mistletoe: These plants have a greater toxicity level. Symptoms of illness from ingesting them can be vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and abdominal pain. Mistletoe can cause a severe drop in blood pressure, breathing problems and even hallucinations. If a large enough amount is ingested, seizures and death could follow.
Lilies and Daffodils: Plants in the lily family can be toxic. Eating even a small amount of the plant, even the pollen will have a severe impact on a pet’s system including kidney failure, intestinal and nervous system issues. Daffodils are in the lily family, which explain why they are so toxic. All parts of the plant are poisonous, including the bulbs, leaves, and flowers. Even the water the daffodil stands in if ingested can cause poisoning.
Amaryllis: The beauty of this plant is matched by its toxicity. The plant contains Lycorine and other noxious substances, which causes salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, decreased appetite, lethargy, and tremors in both cats and dogs. The bulb is reputed to be even more dangerous than the flowers or stalk.
Christmas Cactus: The plant is not toxic to either cats or dogs. However, fibrous material can cause irritation to the stomach and intestines, leading to vomiting or diarrhea.

In conclusion, being safe will help you protect your family pet and yourself from panic.

 

Written by Samantha Hansen, CSR

I took my dog to multiple vets for her skin condition before I called mission ridge. From the first appointment…

Kevin Green

Staff are professional and friendly. The vets are the best here.

Katherine Baronasky

I have taken my little yorkie here for the last 11 years he has owned me. ;o) I highly recommend…

T.a. Ohki

As always MRAH is the best vet clinic and all of our fur babies will continue to see the Vet…

Daryl Daniels

'Pickle' had a great first visit ! Very friendly clinic

Stephanie Gruhle

Blog

August is Food Awareness Month

During August and September, we are focusing on pet nutrition.

Read More
See All Articles

COVID-19: Additional measures we are taking

Dear Clients,

Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.

The following changes are effective as of Wednesday, March 18, 2020:

1. We are currently operating a "closed-door" policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 780-458-3833. We will take a history of your pet from outside of your car, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. We will then return to your vehicle with your pet to discuss our recommended treatment plan.

2. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets, as well as time-sensitive puppy/kitten vaccinations. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.

3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday to Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm Saturdays 9:00 - 2:00 pm and closed on Sundays.

4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the clinic. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment from your vehicle.

5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.

6. Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our jobs. We have taken these measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.

Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid, and any updates will be provided as changes occur.

Your dedicated team at Mission Ridge Animal Hospital