Ten facts you should know:
- There are NO labelled Health Canada approved cannabis products available at this time. Veterinarians, therefore, cannot legally prescribe/recommend it for your pet.
- Products available for people should NOT be given to animals. This includes recreational cannabis, medical cannabis and hemp cannabis.
- There are no clinical trials that support the benefits of cannabis in dogs and cats.
- There is a lack of consistency in cannabis products.
- THC (the psychotropic part of marijuana) is highly toxic to dogs.
- There are no topical marijuana products that are safe for dogs and cats.
- CBD oil MAY be helpful for treating pain, for epilepsy, for anxiety and as an antioxidant (helpful in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s for people) but there are no conclusive studies in animals at this time. There are no Health Canada approved CBD oil products for animals at this time.
- Hemp seed oil contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and is NOT psychogenic.
- Always consult your Veterinarian and have them review the label of any product before you give it to your pet.
- If your pet gets into any cannabis product by accident consult your Veterinarian immediately.
Written By: Dr. Lori Skrypnek