A pet first aid kit is the first step in ensuring you are prepared if something was to ever happen to your pet. The team at Mission Ridge Animal Hospital wants to help you be prepared with a list of items that would be great additions to your pet first aid kit!
Some things that should be included in your first aid kit are:
– A muzzle – Although in most circumstances your pet wouldn’t think of harming you, an emergency setting may change things. If your animal is in pain or afraid, it may bite.
– A list of phone numbers to the closest emergency clinics or Veterinarians.
– Latex exam gloves
– Bandage scissors
– Triangular bandages
– Nail trimmers and Quikstop powder or sticks
– Telfa pads (non stick dressings for wounds)
– Antiseptic wipes
– Sterile eye wash – saline (to flush out foreign bodies or wounds)
– Thermometer and lubrication (water based)
– Hot and cold packs
– Wash cloths and a blanket
– Diphenhydramine (Benadryl, for allergic reactions, bee stings etc. – talk to your doctor about proper dosing)
– A syringe to flush wounds or give fluids by mouth
You know your pet better than anyone, if they have special needs to consider customize your pet first aid kit!